New Generation Ammunition
|The Sentry Bullet
| The Sentry is a projectile used in
handgun ammunition, based on a solid copper slug. It was designed and patented to
combine the characteristics of most of the world's best self-defense bullets into a single
bullet, for unprecedented stopping power.
The design concept of using monometal copper projectiles is well
established in the industry. In the USA many reloaders believe that solid copper
bullets used in the making of hunting ammunition is the best on the market. In South
Africa, hunting bullet designers such as Goodnel have also concentrated with great success
on solid copper as the main ingredient of their projectiles.
| We define "Stopping Power" as
the amount of physical incapacitation imposed on the subject. Three aspects of
bullet performance are important to evaluate its effectiveness:
- Temporary stretch cavity
- Permanent crush activity
The Sentry has an excellent overall performance in all of the
Tests conducted at the NGA testing grounds proved:
- Adequate penetration in various tissue simulants
- spectacular stretch cavity performance in ballistic clay and gelatin
- good crush cavity results in tissue media and
- consistent bullet expansion
- The bullet is produced as a solid copper slug which is nickel
plated to reduce barrel friction.
- A plastic cap is mounted on the tip of the slug to ensure
reliable feeding in selfloading firearms. In revolvers is facilitates fast insertion
by hand or using speedloaders.
- The production process guarantees extremely low tolerances on
the physical dimensions of the projectile. Uniformity in weight, diameter and
ellipticity guarantees external ballistic performance. Groupings of 37mm at 25m was
obtained from a fixed barrel in a laboratory environment.
- The unique shape of the Sentry has several properties that
will ensure the following:
- No core-jacket separation when hitting either hard or soft
- No ricochets even when hitting hard objects like windscreens
at very sharp angles.
- Virtually 100% weight retention in tissue like media.
- Expansion to over 12mm (.50"). Characteristic for
- Optimal wound ballistics
- Excellent transfer of energy
- Caliber's currently available
- 60 gr .3545" for .380 auto (9mm short)
- 85 gr .3545" for 9mm parabellum
- 80 gr .357 for 38 Sp and .357 Mag
- 90 gr .357 Mag
- 113 gr .40 S & W
- 150 gr .45" for .45 ACP
- 150 gr .44" for .44 Rem Mag
- Performance Through Windshield
- The diagram below (Fig.C shows results of a 9mm Sentry shot
through a windscreen at 7m.)
- The Sentry penetrates one layer of sheet steel of up to 2.5mm
thickness and shows similar results as per Figure A
- Bullet Proof Vest
- Standard loads do not penetrate vests with protection level
lla. This makes Sentry an ideal carry round for law enforcement officers.
International standards dictate that only special forces are allowed to carry ammunition
which would penetrate their own vests as many regular officers are shot with their own